A few months ago on instagram I posted a picture of some fabric covered blocks I made for my daughter. Here is a picture tutorial of how I made the blocks. I used an old greengate placemat that I had kept, hoping I could make something with the beautiful matching fabric. And the blocks I’ve actually had since I was 13, dragging them across various continents in the hope that some day I would get around to covering them! I made ten blocks.
- Prepare the fabric
- Measure your foam blocks and make a template – I made mine 1/4 inch wider than the blocks on all sides
- cut out squares of fabric
- Sew six squares together in a cross shape, starting and ending the seams 1/4 inch in from the edge of the fabric
- Sew Y-seams so that you have a little cube, leaving one edge open for turning
- Trim the corners of the fabric, turn the cube and poke out the corners
- Stuff with the cube and close the last seam by hand